Why is swelling bad for an injury?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i cant walk on my left leg..no weight bearing. Feels like my knee is dislocated. Swelling is great all around my knee; front and back. I fell saturday night and havent been able to move since

I've tried OTC tylenol, Ibuprofen and asprin over the course of last two days. swelling and paid is not subsiding.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a bone or ligament injury.

Detailed Answer:
You must have hurt your internal structures in knee, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a Knee X-ray and MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
A pair of knee supports can add to stability. But that again depends on your exact condition. If you don't get relief, proceed with MRI.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal