Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Why is period delayed? Can I take medicines to regularize it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5137 Questions
I m not geeting my periods it almost 45 days gap now, need to know the reason & medicine to get same started again in regular manner
I m 29 yrs old girl.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Have your periods been irregular or any heavy or less bleeding recently ?

Are you in a stressful atmosphere since recently ? Any change in job or tension at Work or Home ?

Have you gained weight recently, any hair growth on chin ?

Your periods have been delayed more than 45 days according to your history. There can be many causes for the same.

Commonly extreme emotional stress can delay periods even for 2 months especially when there is recent change in job, home atmosphere etc.

Other causes include hormonal disorders like Polycystic ovarian disease which is common in working women which is also aggravated by stress and lifestyle changes.

In case the period is missed for the month, it would be wise to get Urine pregnancy test if you have been having sexual intercourse. This is also a cause of absent periods.

Kindly avoid eating fatty, high carbohydrate diet. Eat diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day. Get 6-8 hours of sleep. Do Yoga for stress relief everyday.

It would be best to consult Gynecologist to get evaluated for various causes of delayed menstruation as mentioned above. If no structural changes to reproductive organs are found on clinical examination and ultrasound scan, it could be hormonal disorder. Usually Doctor would start you on hormonal medication to restart and regularize your periods.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor