Why is my stool black?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: why is my stool black, it has been like this for about two weeiks. What are the possibilities?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Malena, Needs workup Detailed Answer: Good Day XXXX My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to help you know why your stools are black. Mr XXXXXXX i want you to know that color of stools black for two weeks at the age of 68 indicates a bleeding focus some where in upper gastro intestinal tract like stomach or small intestine. Simple iron medicines and diet rich in iron can also cause that but color change that persistent for two weeks is more likely due to some gastrointestinal bleeding. This is called melena and there are many possibilities for this. Like ulcers, fistulas,strongyloidiasis, hemorrhagic gastritis, liver cirrhosis, cardiac cirrhosis, XXXXXXX weiss tears , varices, and last but not the least neoplasms like polyps or colorectal Carcinomas. Age above 60 has a strong predisposition to malignancies with such presentation. SO i recommend seeking the help of gastroenterologists for some work up like endoscopies and some blood panels to assess the situation here.Its never normal when it comes to that presentation. Keep me posted and let me know what comes up. I will be keen to know. Mr XXXXXXX hope this answer finds you in good health. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask other wise please close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Good luck and take some very good care of yourself. May the odds be ever in your favour. Regards Dr S Khan