Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Why is my child's feet hurting with high fever?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 1194 Questions
My grandson is almost 4 years old. He gets sick often. every month or so. The pediatrician sent him to an Immunologist and found that XXXXXXX has "neutropenia". But neither he nor the pedriation suggested anything to do for him. He runs these terribly high fevers every month or so. My daughter just called me and said XXXXXXX was sick "again". He always complains about some body part hurting. Tonight it is his feet. What can be done to help him? I know he is not old enough to take "airborn" or "coldeze". What can we do to help him?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Improve immunity, good diet, through investigations Detailed Answer: Hi Dear, I have read your concern. His immunity is to boosted with high protein and rich diet. Supplementation with vitamin D, multivitamins and iron also helps in improving the immunity and diet. As a whole, it is quite common to contract viral infection on exposure for a child, when they start getting social like going to school etc. Because viral infections are usually community borne. Gradually with recurrent exposures of the body to such infections, antibodies are formed itself by the immune system of the body and immunity improves. Almost all viral infections are known to cause some neutropenia and later it recover as viral infection fades off. I would like to request you to please upload the investigation report of the child so that I can explain you better. Please feel free for further explanation. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why is my child's feet hurting with high fever? 7 hours later
appreciate your answer. This is basically what the pediatrician said also. But what do we do meanwhile. I've done some other research and the use of gamma gobulin has been used to treat neutrapenia in children. I wonder why neither dr. has suggested that?
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Gama Globulin to be used mainly in autoimmune mediated neutropenias. Detailed Answer: Hi What we pediatricians are trying to explain that it is better to improve the self immunity. If the neutropenia is auto immune type with some evidence and quite severe that the body is not at all able to defend itself from even mild trivial infection. Only then we would like to advice for the administration of gamma globulin keeping all the possible long and sort term negative possibilities. In the initial stages we do avoid this intervention and try to enhance the natural immunity provided the Total leukocyte count is quite low or less that 1000/cu mm. Hope the query is answered. Please feel free for further clarification. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why is my child's feet hurting with high fever? 10 hours later
Again you've reiterrated the need to naturally improve the immune system. XXXXXXX drinks pediasure and gets double vitamins everyday. His mom very seldom leaves the house with him so as to not expose him. These drinks like airborn or coldeze that is supposed to strengthen the immune system during an oncoming cold does work well in adults but children can't take them. In Warrens case, you'd think it would help him. You said he needs to take in protein, XXXXXXX prefers to eat only meats so you'd think he would get quite a bit of protein along with all the vitamins that he takes. So the answer to my question is that theres nothing that can be done for him, during the time his immune system is trying to build up. Conscequintly, he will remain getting sick every month. right?
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Immunologist to decide for gamma globulin. Detailed Answer: Hi I can feel your concern and please be patient. Immune development is a gradual process. Every infection he gets is a process to strengthen his immune functions. I was expecting detailed report of investigation in the previous query to exactly get the level of neutropenia. If you have reports with you, please share them with me. I can be able to provide you with helpful information tailored as per Warren's needs. Detailed investigation report is required to know the exact problem with the child. I investigate thoroughly all my patients with recurrent fever to arrive at a final conclusion. I order for complete blood count, ESR, CRP,Typhi dot test., Malaria Antigen, Mx Test, BLOOD CULTURE, PEREPHFERAL SMEAR FOR GENERAL BLOOD PICTURE, CXRAY, Xray Water's view to rule out subtle sinusitis, CD4 Counts and CD4/CD8 ratio, URINE ROUTINE EXAMINATION, LIVER FUNCTION TEST, ULTRA SOUND WHOLE ABDOMEN TO RULE OUT ANY MICROABSCESS OR PUS etc. If neutropenia is quite severe then one should think of Bone Marrow Examination also. If XXXXXXX has undergone some of the above test, please share the reports with me. If every thing is ok regarding investigations then please let the child grow, more he is exposed to the antigens more antibodies will form in his body to fight the infections. For some thing extra apart from the pediatricians view, it will be better for your expectations to discuss with immunologist along with detailed workup. Hope you are guided satisfactorily. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor