Why is my UPT showing negative when tested positive for pregnancy on a blood test?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I recently had a blood test confirming pregnancy, a week later I have gotten my period late and tested using a stick which has shown up negative? Is it possible to have a early pregnancy or a false positive blood test?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a chemical pregnancy or blighted ovum.

Detailed Answer:

A blood test is not likely to be false positive but in early pregnancy the test can come positive in case of chemical pregnancy or a blighted ovum in which the test is weakly positive and the bleeding starts on its own in next few days.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D