• question-icon

Why is hair transplant not done at back of the head?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 in Pigmentation Problems
Question:

Good day doctor, i just had a fue hair transplant operation but the doctor didnt include a small part back of my head where he said this area is no good to transplant in because blood doesnt reach this area well

And he said with medication this area will be covered and i want to know is this right or i shall do something to cover it i attached some pictures of how my hair looks like and i need your advice

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Androgenetic Alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it. I have looked at the images.

The area on the back already shows a good number of hair follicles and moreover this area is very responsive to medications used for androgenetic alopecia. I think that was what he meant.

Also there is a limit to the number of hair follicles that can be harvested from the occipital area and it may not be possible to cover the bald patches completely with this limit. Therefore the best way is to optimise the utilization of the harvested hair follicles, wherein they are mainly used to reconstruct the anterior hair line and cover the mid scalp region.

If the vertex part of the scalp has good amount of hair follicles and since we know that it would respond very well to medications therefore this area may be spared during transplantation and thus these follicles in turn may be utilized to cover the mid scalp area and the anterior part/hair line of the scalp in a better way.

You are having a good regrowth.

I would suggest that you continue with Topical 5% minoxidil and Oral Finasteride Or Saw palmetto extract. These should be continued life long with the aim to stop further progression and to reverse the miniaturisation/hair thinning over the vertex part of the scalp, as well

Hope this helps
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist