Why is bronchitis not getting cured while on Diclofenac, Levothyroxine Sodium, Hydrochlorothiazide and Atorvastatin Calcium?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I got Bronchitis around the end of November. I have still been coughing ever since and often it is with Phelem. I take the following medications:

Diclofenac, 75 MG for Hip and shoulder arthritus
Levothyroxine Sodium, 50 MCG for Thyroid
Hydrochlorothiazide, 25 MG for Blood Pressure
Atorvastatin Calcium, 10 MG for Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a chest X-Ray and a Spirometry test is required

Detailed Answer:

As per the history, if you were my patient I would recommend you to do a chest X-Ray and a Spirometry test for evaluating the lungs.

Are you a smoker or ex-smoker instead?

If the above tests are normal then further evaluation for allergies should be done by skin tests (with the assistance of an allergologist). Sometimes allergies are the cause of a chronic cough.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 10 minutes later
Hmm, I do have a scheduled appointment with him on Feb 9th as mentioned. However, do the above medications that I list have any potential ACE inhibitors that cold be causing me to still cough (or could any combination of these be causing that as well)?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:

I don't think these medications you are currently taking might be the cause of a cough. In fact, none of those medications you've mentioned earlier belongs to the ACE inhibitor class.

However, we need to exclude the above-mentioned causes that I've written earlier. If they come negative than we can think about a cough due to ACE inhibitors.

Take Care!

Dr. Jnikolla,
Pulmonologist