Why is bipolar medicine along with Bupropion and amphetamine salts prescribed when diagnosed with chronic depression?
I think for augmentation of Bupropion.
There are two possible explanations for adding Lamotrigine in unipolar depression. First, lamotrigine is used as an antidepressant even in unipolar depression as primary agent.
Second, most likely he is trying to augment the effect of Bupropion. Augmentation is preferred when there is inadequate response with primary medication.
The second type of practice is very common. This is done when there is need to improve the effect of medication as in your case. I understand that this medication is primarily approved for bipolar disorder but it does not mean that it is only helpful in bipolar disorder. It have very good response in many of the individuals with unipolar depression.
I hope this helps you.
Dr. Ashok Kumar
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is vanatrip used in the treatment of chronic depression ?
- Chronic depression and anxiety
- Major depression vs chronic depression
- Meloprax for chronic depression
- How to treat chronic depression
- Diagnosed with chronic depression feeling hypersensitivity in hands reason
- What is the cure for chronic depression
- Chronic depression what happens
- Meds for chronic depression
- Prescribe medication for chronic depression anxiety bipolar with difficulty sleeping