Why is bipolar medicine along with Bupropion and amphetamine salts prescribed when diagnosed with chronic depression?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Why did my doctor prescribe me a drug for bipolar when I am not bipolar, but do suffer from chronic depression? She prescribe me this drug in conjunction with Bupropion and amphetamine salts.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think for augmentation of Bupropion.

Detailed Answer:

There are two possible explanations for adding Lamotrigine in unipolar depression. First, lamotrigine is used as an antidepressant even in unipolar depression as primary agent.

Second, most likely he is trying to augment the effect of Bupropion. Augmentation is preferred when there is inadequate response with primary medication.

The second type of practice is very common. This is done when there is need to improve the effect of medication as in your case. I understand that this medication is primarily approved for bipolar disorder but it does not mean that it is only helpful in bipolar disorder. It have very good response in many of the individuals with unipolar depression.

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad