• question-icon

Why is a mammogram repeated?

Posted on Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Question: had mammogram 1 week ago want to do repeat and maybe ultasound. couple of places in right breast. i had a physical examine by my doc 2 months ago she felt nothing also had a bone denstiy test, not great results, doctor said we would talk about at next visit. no hurry. i take a pill once a week for this i miss 1 ever so often
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Please do upload the mammogram report so that I can comment better. Why do you wish to repeat the test - could you please elaborate. If the physical exam was normal, and the mammogram was fine, do not worry. For the bone density test, taking calcium and vitamin D supplements might help. Kindly upload that test result too. What pill do you take - please mention that. Waiting to hear from you . Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
do not have any report in hand i was told over the phone that they wanted to repeat the mammogram and also maybe a ultasound. the phyical examine that my doctor did in office was fine about 2 months ago. you misunderstood guestion
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. Okay, sometimes the mammogram is not clear because of positional reasons or technical reasons. Also, small cysts or lesions such as fibroadenomas or increased areas of density in the breasts might not always be detected by physical exam. In all likelihood, it would be small scattered or single benign focus / foci, as it was not picked up on palpation. I hope you understand that without the actual report, it is very difficult to comment. So please do write back once you have the report in hand.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN