question-icon

Why is Proluton Depot injection prescribed during pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 12 Mar 2014
Question: Hello Doctor, my wife is 16 weeks pregnant and in her monthly checkup after her scan doctor has prescribed Proluton Depot 250mg injection weekly once. I want to know what would be the reason??and how many weeks she should take that injection?? and in the report doctor writes,Plasenta Posterior extending upto internal os. means what?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (40 hours later)
Brief Answer: It supports the pregancy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The Proluton , is a synthetic hormone which helps to maintain the health of the pregnancy. It may be given till 24th week. But the course duration depends on the cause for it to be prescribed. Placenta posterior means, the placenta which is the connection stalk for the fetus is attached to the posterior wall of the uterus and nearing the outlet of the uterus which may get blocked in future which is usually unfavourable. regards,
Dr. Raju A.T