• question-icon

Why is Prednisone,Biaxin xl and Expectorant prescribed for cold?

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Why would my doctor prescribe prednisone, along with biaxin xl and an expectorant for my cold. I have had a bad cold for the past 3 weeks with nasal and chest congestion as well as a bad cough. To be clear, I am asking only about the prednisone.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: It will reduce the swelling Detailed Answer: Hello Prednisone is a steroid and will help in reducing the inflammation/swelling associated with the cold. Since you are already on an antibiotic namely biaxin xl , you dont have to worry about the infection increasing. Short course of steroids is mostly harmless and will help in early recovery , please dont worry and take the prednisone. thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist