Why is Oxybutynin prescribed exclusively for women with urinary incontinence?
Oxybutinine is also beig prescribed to male patients
Thanks for query .
Based on the doubt that you have about Oxybutinine being prescribed exclusively to females I would state that Oxybutinine prevents involuntary contractions of bladder causing frequent urge to pas urine and it is being prescribed to male patients too .
Incontinence or leakage of urine is very common in elderly females compared to males reasons being
1) Female urethra is comparatively straight in relation to bladder neck where as male urethra is curved.
2) Male urethra is supported by strong pelvic and perineal muscles where as female urethra is supported by pelvic floor muscles which become lax and weak as the age advances causing leakage of urine with even minor increase in intra abdominal pressure like sneezing or coughing ..
3) There is no statistical, data available to compare incidence of incontinence in males verses females.But incidence of incontinence in males is almost negligible unless the sphincter of urethra muscle is damaged due to some injury or during surgical procedures .
Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Why do i suffer from urinary incontinence
- Urinary incontinence in women ayurvedic medicine
- Herniated disc and urinary incontinence
- Types of urinary incontinence in women
- Morning urinary incontinence
- Gallbladder removal and urinary incontinence
- Spinal stenosis and urinary incontinence
- Urinary incontinence skunk
- Cocaine urinary incontinence
- Urinary incontinence abdominoplasty
- Have stomach pain, fever and loose stool. On omniprzole and ciplox. Any...
- Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on...
- On medication for BP, body pain and frequent urination. Getting weakness...
- Having pain in testicle and noticed dark skin on it. What to do?
- Took medication for neurological problem and never had a desire for...
- Experiencing prolonged menstrual periods. What to do?
- Have increase frequency and urgency of urination. Any treatment?
- Why does my penis look small when not erect?
- Having on and off mouth ulcer. What is causing this and how to get rid...
- Noticed movable lump on the side of abdomen. What could it be?