Why is Hucog 5000 injection prescribed during pregnancy?

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: What is the use of hucog hp 5000 injection during pregnancy(from 5th week).Is it safe to inject during pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
as luteal support

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

Hucog or hcg 5000 is given weekly during pregnancy to prevent miscarriage, in women who are prone to miscarriage or having risk factors for miscarriage.

It can be safely taken but exactly how effective it is controversial. Some Doctors prefer to give progesterone supplements instead of HCG.

It would depend on a lot of factors, the age of the women, previous history of miscarriage, IVF or assisted reprodution, induced pregnancy,
Threatened miscarraige in the form of spotting, twins pregnancy are some other situation were doctors would prescribe it.

Progesterone oral tablets or progesterone vaginal pessary would be equally effective.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad