question-icon

Why is Amlodipine tablets prescribed for a diabetic?

Posted on Sun, 13 Nov 2016
Question: Why would a doctor put a patient on AmLODIPINE W/O telling him.He's a diabetic & is on Medformin,Farxiga,Simvastatin?We are confused &it's difficult to get the PA or a nurse on the phone. F LOPEZ
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Amlodipine is a medicine for high blood pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Amlodipine is used for the treatment of high blood pressure. He would have been put on Amlodipine as his blood pressure would have been high. It is a relatively safe medicine and but can increase the blood level of Simvastatin. It would better not to take more than 20 mg of Simvastatin. Be on the lookout for muscle pains.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah (8 minutes later)
My husband blood pressure has not been high .He monitor it daily, it his sugar that he has a problem. We don't know why these RX has been changed. Do we call the doctor &see why these changes were made.His last app a few weeks ago he did tell the PA he was sleeping alot. They ran blood work & was told every thing was fine.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It would be good to discuss with the doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Blood pressure in people with diabetes should be below 140 /90 to avoid complications in people with diabetes. Maybe the doctor would have found it higher. It would be best to discuss with him the indication for starting Amlodipine.
I shall be happy to answer any health questions you may have.
If you want me to monitor his blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and give feedbacksto control them, you are welcome to subscribe to http://www.drnoblezachariah.com/home/health-monitoring
Wish you all good health and a good day.
Dr. Noble Zachariah