Why have I been prescribed Oseltamivir instead of antibiotics for a viral infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I have been tested and found positive for the flu. Shouldn't I be prescribed some type of antibiotics and what type and strength? I've been prescribed Oseltamivir
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but the flu is caused by influenza virus, this is why you have been prescribed oseltamivir which is an antiviral that blocks the action of influenza A and B viruses.. Antibiotics are designed to treat bacterial infection which is not the case and antibiotics will not provide you with any benefit in treating your influenza viral infection.
I hope I answered your question..if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.

Take care,
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T