Why has my period delayed after removing multiload intrauterine device?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: why has my periods delayed after removin multiload

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, multiload intrauterine devices contains hormonal derivatives. These derivatives can lead to irregularity of the normal menstrual cycle as a side effect. You can experience it even when it has been removed. The cause is imbalance of the hormonal system.

But, most common cause of this type of delayed periods after removing the multiload is pregnancy. Any unprotected intercourse can lead to this type of situation.

So, first of all, pregnancy should be excluded. For this, first you have to calculate your expected date of period. You have to do a home pregnancy test on or after that day.

If this pregnancy test is negative then you have to wait for maximum 10 days for spontaneous period. If period does not occur even after 10 days, an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen becomes necessary. You can do the scan and then you can consult with a gynecologist for further management accordingly.

If the pregnancy test is positive then the decision is upto you.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
My pms was 25th of this mnth, and i did my blood tedt for pregnancy which came negtive,but i am experiencing many pregnancy symtoms,like peeing frequently, bloating and slight pin in the stomach, kindly guide me as we wre trying for the baby

Thank you for writing back.

Look, a negative blood test of pregnancy usually rules out possibility of pregnancy. But, false negative report is possible due to problem in calculating the date. As i have told you that any pregnancy test should be done after the day of missed period.

As the multiload has been removed, some irregularity in menstrual cycle is possible.

In this situation, you have to do an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen. It will detect any early stage of pregnancy.

So, do the scan immediately. After that you should consult with your gynecologist.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.