Why does the front of my hip hurt?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am having pain/ burning in thr]e front of my left hip that feels like it is both in the bone and the fatty tissue. It radiates around to the back, making it difficult to sleep lie down and walk. It has been present for several months, and I have had xrays and labs with no definitive results, It is getting worse over time and is not easily controlled with pain meds. If I do manage to fall asleep and stay that way for a period of time, the pain will wake me up, and I need assistance to move or get up out of bed
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be pressure on nerves or sacroilitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have read the description of your pain and in my opinion this pain is due to pressure on a nerve in spinal canal or Sacroilitis. This will not show in x rays.
For this I suggest pain killers , muscle relaxants , a combination of pregabalin and methycobalamine , and physiotherapy. Try for 7-10 days and if do not feel any relief then go for MRI of lower spine.
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.

Follow-up: Why does the front of my hip hurt? 23 minutes later
If this is the cause, why is it in the front? Does an emg give a positive diagnosis for the condition? I am trying to move away from meds. Currently 80 mg oxycontin TID, 30 mg oxycodone up to ten a day, and this is reduced from 200 mcg fentanyl Q48 hrs, and 780 mg of oxycodone a day. I have had muscle relaxers, gabapentin, tramadol, etc. I hate to sound pessimistic about medication, but I would like to know how to find out the cause and not just treat the symptom. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain is felt around the area supplied by nerve.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The pain is felt in area supplied by the particular nerve so if you pressure on L1 or D12 root then pain will be felt in groin area.
EMG may not be of much help in arriving at a diagnosis. NCV can be done but again the cause will be seen most likely in MRI. So I recommend MRI ASAP Since you have tried good no of medicines.
Thanks

Follow-up: Why does the front of my hip hurt? 7 hours later
Thank you so much. I will pursue this. I had been going with obgyn and then internal medicine, but it seems that it may be best approached by an orthopedist?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes orthopedic surgeon is better,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
In my opinion it will be better to consult an Orthopedic Surgeon.
Thanx and welcome.