Why does the doctor prescribe Citalopram instead of Ativan for depression?

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I have anxiety was given citalopram 20 mg OD have been taking past 6 mo . Never thought I was depressed but had taken Ativan half mg PRN for anxiety & it worked. Dr won"t prescribe Ativan Any thoughts on why
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Brief answer. It may cause respiratory depression and tolerance problems

Detailed Answer:
Detailed answer
Hi xxxxx,
Welcome to health care magic,
I have gone through your query and understand your concern towards your anxiety symptoms and usuage of Ativan

It can be prescribed for anxiety for brief period with good results.

Im not very sure if you have any respiratory complaints or you have been taking since long time that made your doctor not to prescribe as the dose is very minimal what you are taking

GABAPENTIN, which works for neural problems also has an antianxiety action, probably that would have made your doctor to stop ATIVAN

So I would advise you to discuss these issues with your doctor and decide accordingly whether to continue or not

Hope this information would help you
Feel free to ask any further questions
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T