Why does my kidney produce calcium stones all the time ?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: Hello Doctor, I have problems with calcium stones in kidney, I was at a local Urologist, and he said to me that my organism is able to produce the calcium stones because he is composed of calcium , could u help me why my organism produce calcium stones all the time ?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Stones containing calcium constitute 90 percent and non-calcium stones only about 10%.
This may be calcium oxalate, phosphate, mixed and triple phosphate. Only analysis of a passed or removed stone can give a clue.
The next step would be to check your blood for calcium and uric acid levels in the blood. Depending on the results, next step is planned.
If a stone is passed in urine or removed from the body, stone analysis can be done.
Also urine can be collected for one full day in a huge container and checked for what is called 24 hour urine for calcium, oxalate and uric acid levels.
Based on all these, appropriate advice can be given.
General measures to prevent stone formation are
1.     Intake of oral fluids about 3 litres a day.
2.     Avoidance of red meat.
3.     Reduce intake of alcohol.

Please consult your doc, get all these tests done and wish you good health.
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 21 hours later
I have made the blood analysis for calcium(also called 24 hour urine), and the other analysis tomorrow i will attach you a report thank you doctor
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi
Welcome back.
I will have a look at the reports and we can plan.
regards
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 days later
Here are the reports doc, the report of Biochemical Analysis and the Urine Examination 24h. Look at them and please help me

Hi
welcome back.
Your calcium levels - total and ionized, phosphorus are high.
In urine, there is evidence of infection.
The next step is to check urine culture test to detect the bacteria and serum parathyroid hormone levels to see if the parathyroid glands are more active then usual.

DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 19 hours later
Thank you, I will try to find the clinic that makes this test, I will make them and will send you
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 5 minutes later
Hi
Welcome back.
I would be happy to have a look at your reports and comment.

Best regards
DR GS