Why does my blood glucose drop after eating?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello i am noticing i have sudden drop in sugar levels specially when i eat potatoes or chocolate on an empty stomach what may be the cause of that?

Is it reactive hyperglycemia?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About reactive hypoglycemia;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
Low blood sugar after eating ( especially food with high calorie index) are suggestive for reactive hypoglycemia.
It is confirmed by checking the blood sugar at the moment you have hypoglycemic symptoms ( sweating, feeling hungry , weakness ect). If it is under 70 mg/dl and if the symptoms improve after eating or drinking than reactive hypoglycemia is confirmed.
It happens in overweight persons and is caused by an over production of insulin by pancreas after a carbohydrate load.
The treatment consists in eating often ( 5 times a day) and avoid foods with high index calories such as sweets, chocolate, biscuits ect.
Physical activity and weight loss will help to prevent it in the future.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad