Why does my back of head hurts when I laugh?

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Why does my head hurt in the back by my neck when I laugh hard feels like my head going to burst.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Your query regarding pain at the back of your neck when you laugh loudly is a normal phenomenon. The sudden increase in pressure in the chest cavity transmits the pressure to the head, causing the headache and neck ache.

Your medical history of vasculitis, high blood pressure and cholesterol levels may put a different view to this headache, if it happens most of the time even without laughing. It is important that you have the vasculitis, BP and cholesterol under control. Raised blood pressure can cause the headache and neck aches. You can mention this to your physician for a MRI brain, MR angiography etc as per the clinical need.

You must also ensure that you use the lowest possible doses of immunosuppressive drugs (such as steroids, azathioprine etc) if you are on any of them for the vasculitis.

If none of the above are possibilities in your case, then there is no need to worry.

I hope I have answered your query. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Best Wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist