Why do you get rid of constant buzzing noise in the ears?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: All of a sudden I developed a terribly loud noise (buzzing) noise in my left ear although it seems like it is from inside my head. This has never happened to me before. It is so loud. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly follow up with additional details.

Detailed Answer:

-Does the noise seem to be worsening?
- Is the noise constant, intermittent or pulsating in nature?
-Have you noticed recent ear pain, blocked nose, headache?
-Any fever or ear discharge?
-Any recent exposure to too loud noises?
- Have you noticed blocked feeling in the affected ear?
-Any hearing loss?
-Any vertigo, dizziness, vomiting?
- Do you have other medical conditions? And are you on any medications?
-Any other associated concerning symptoms?

Awaiting.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
The noise is not worsening. The noise was constant;no ear pain, blocked nose, slight headache at the time; no fever or ear discharge; no exposure to loud noises; no blocked feeling in ear; hearing was diminished during the pain; no vertigo,dizziness or vomiting; low thyroid, taking 0.88 Levothyroxine, no other symptoms. After an hour and a half, the noise slowly retreated. This morning I am tired and have a headache. I am worried about the terrible noise returning and if it was a symptom of something else.
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis: Transient tinnitus, nothing to be worried about

Detailed Answer:

Short-lived buzzing noise associated with hearing loss is characteristic of transient tinnitus. Transient tinnitus occurs due to temporary spasm in middle ear muscle. It can occur due to sudden jaw jerk, head position or even excessive caffeine intake.
Transient tinnitus is a completely harmless occurrence. Even though the symptoms are worry provoking and bothersome, there is nothing to be worried about. You can try limiting caffeine intake to prevent recurrence.
The headache and tiredness are likely due to interrupted sleep by tinnitus. You can take Tylenol for the headache,stay hydrated and get some rest.

Hope this answers your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad