Why do my hands and feet go numb?
may be peripheral neuropathy, a neurologist would be best
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
You should consider a neurologist, a doctor that specializes in diseases that affect the nervous system- brain, spinal cord and the nerves supplying organs and muscles.
The abnormal sensations and locking may be due to neuropathy which is abnormal function of the nerves. It can be temporary or permanent and there are different possible causes.
The most common causes are--(1) liver or kidney disease
(2)side effect of medication
(3)trauma to the nerves eg arthritis of the spine
(4)low levels of vitamin b12 and folate
(5)abnormal levels of vitamin b 6
(7)infection such as shingles though this would normally affect a particular area
(8)nerve conditions such as ms or stroke
If the symptoms are severe or persistent then you may need to be assessed , this includes physical examination, blood tests and imaging such as an x ray of the spine.
There are medications that can help with neuropathy such as tegretol, lyrica, amitriptyline etc
Specific treatment depends on the cause found
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Numbness in hands and feet on depo
- Experiencing numbness and tingling in hands and feet why
- Why does my hands and feet go numb
- Hands and feet going numb while pooping
- Swelling and numbness in hands and feet
- Numb hands and feet headaches
- Sickness with numb hands and feet
- Numb hands and feet tinnitus
- Methamphetamine and numbness in hands and feet
- Numbness hands and feet and lightheaded
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?