Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Why do i have a sore lump that swells up face and a stiff neck? Can celebrex cause this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1985
Answered : 45 Questions
I have RA and Osteo. Taking Celebrex. Had recent dental work...teeth ok...but, while dentist working on teeth I noticed a lump above by 1st by...upper jawline almost adjacent right nostril of nose. When she worked on my tooth to have cap put on the pain increased in size and so did lump. Doctor gave me medicine to rid of infection which worked...pain went away and little boney lump stayed. I can feel this lump like bone from the outside of my mouth when it is idle, when lump swells up my mouth swells, last week my right side face swelled. Swelling went down within two days. This lump goes away, then seems to get festured when my rhuematic symptons flare up, which causes pain and inflammation on the upper jaw line. and last week half my face blew up. Weather change, my hands are in pain along with other joints from RA and now the lump is sore sore sore and as day goes on swells my right side mouth. Is this from RA?? Is this from Celebrex?
What is exray show not infection of teeth.
Also, please note, I have been going to a free clinic, for my RA introduced itself to me the beginning of last year. I was diagnosed with Osteo same time...but I believe looking back I have had these deseases much longer.
The doctor at free clinic is very limited but very courteous. I am blessed to have limited free medical care, but not when it comes to seeing a specialist.
Doctor and I work together on what steps to take for proper care of this RA, OSTEO.
Doctor noted to me repeatedly to see Specialist, but for now you will have to do.
So, what is this sore sore lump. Swells up my face, eye , stiff neck following this swelling all on Right Side. I am very very wobbley and there is a major flare up on all my joints, very painful and this lump in my jaw line is doing the same.
What is this, please hellp, any suggestions for doctor for it has been a year since I have had any blood test.
Thank You XXXXXXX Gregel
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 17 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

The RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) will primarily affect the joints and not the bones.

From what you describe, the lump appears to be from the jaw bone rather than any joint.

The only joint in the jaw bone is tempero-mandibular joint, just in front of tragus of both ears. From your description, the joint does not seem to be involved. I presume, the swelling is under your lips. It most likely could be something coming from upper palatal bone or the base of sinuses. It will be very prudent to get it examined from a ENT specialist or an oral surgeon.

In short, the lump is not related to RA or celebrex.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why do i have a sore lump that swells up face and a stiff neck? Can celebrex cause this? 8 hours later
Which tests are needed to see how much ones RA has progressed in a year?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 15 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

The progression of RA is clinically measured by the amount of functional disability and deformities in joints that develop over time. So best judgment about the progression can be assessed by oneself.

Xray of the affected joints are used by doctors to assess the progression of RA. Loss of joint space, erosions of the affected bones, amount of osteoporosis in adjacent bones and soft tissue swelling are used to assess progression of RA.

In retrospect, coming back to your bony swelling over the jaw - This is an unusual site, but it is possible that this could be a rheumatoid nodule, especially since it increases with the flare of other joints. Rheumatoid nodule usually appears under the skin of patients with severe RA. Common sites are over elbows or fingers. However, it is best to confirm it by examination from specialist, probably with a biopsy.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor