Why do deep breathing exercises make me feel dizzy?
A transient decrease in cerebral blood flow may be the cause.
Welcome on HCM!
Regarding your concern, I would explain that deep breathing (triggered by muscle receptor during physical exercising) may lead to respiratory alkalosis, which is a condition where increased amount of carbon dioxide are expelled from the body.
Coming to this point, the subsequent PaCO2 (partial pressure of CO2 in the circulating blood) may lead to cerebral vasoconstriction, a reduced cerebral blood flow and neurologic symptoms like dizziness, confusion, lightheadedness, and sometimes even transient loss of conscience.
If such circumstances are frequent, then it is advisable to engage yourself in less strenuous exertion; health benefits are the same even when performing a simple aerobics, dancing, walking, etc.
From the other side, I would recommend checking your blood pressure values during exertion to clarify whether large fluctuations occur.
An exercise cardiopulmonary stress test would help to definitely respond the above alternatives before performing further strenuous exercise.
Hope to have been helpful to you!
In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Deep breathing exercises for anxiety
- Dizziness with deep breath
- Deep breathing causes dizziness
- Dizziness when taking deep breath
- Deep breathing exercises script
- Feeling short of breath and dizzy
- Dizziness shortness of breath on exercising
- Taking deep breaths and dizziness
- Deep breathing and leg exercises laparotomy
- Feels hard to take a deep breath
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?