Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Why do I sweat when I eat chips or ketchup or drink coffee?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I sweat when I eat like chips or ketcup or drink coffee why?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Hello ,,
Thanks for posting your query.
Your problem of sweating after hot and spicy foods,, is called gustatory sweating.
Some amount of gustatory sweating is considered normal and may occur in response to eating spicy foods, heavy meals or drinking hot beverages like coffee.
But if the problem is excessive or recently started then its best to rule out pathological causes like diabetes mellitus and freys syndrome.
In diabetes the sweating is generalised to forehead, scalp face palms etc .
In freys syndrome the sweating is unilateral i.e on one side of face, forehead etc due to damage to nerve supply of salivary gland on that side.
So please consult your physician who can examine you and if required carry out blood tests to rule out the pathological causes and confirm the diagnosis.
Hope I have answered your query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor