Why do I keep vomiting after eating?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Eating Disorders
Question: i cant really classify myself as anorexic but when i eat i throw up i dont force myself when i eat i eat like one bite and i feel full i have been to a clinic but they dont know what to classify it as
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

Important points of your query:
•     14 year old female
•     Concern related to being anorxic

From your current information it is clear that you have lack of appetite. Appetite can be reduced due to several common reasons like (In your age group):
Medical reasons: Worm infestation, Hormonal imbalance (hypothyroidism), acidity, vitamin deficiency, chronic illness
Psychological reasons: Depression, Anorexia nervosa, Bulimia nervosa (associated with binge eating).

It is important to first rule out medical causes of loss of appetite. You may need certain laboratory test like: Serum TSH, Complete blood count, Liver function test, Stool examination (for worm infestation), upper GI endoscopy (if acidity is suspected).

The other question in your case is *what should be ideal weight for you?*

To know about ideal weight of person we use an index called BODY MASS INDEX (BMI).
BMI is calculated with the simple formula: BMI= weight in kg/height in metre²

According to BMI we can categorise people in three categories:
•     Underweight from 16.0 to 18.5
•     Normal from 18.5 to 25
•     Overweight from 25 to 30
•     Obese from 30 onward

To help you better, let us know: your weight and height, duration of weight loss, any history to conscious efforts t0 loose weight (like self induced vomitting/purging after meals) and negative self image (imaging/considering yourself a fatty person).

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.