Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Why do I keep getting cramps in my rib cage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 902 Questions
Hi Doctor,

History of Pain in rib cage and center of the chest(vertical)

I have been experiencing pain in rib cage from 2 yrs
First visited pulmonologist and after TMT test..he ruled out that its a vitamin deficiency and gave vitamin D3 and calicium tablets..the pain is gone and now from last 3 months i got this pain went to orthopedic ..xray was take from front and side..nothing was there he told me..he went said vitamin D3 and gave pills..also i said thinking of this my heart beat increase and night i am not able to sleep properly..he gave ultracet and inderal

Mostly the pain is left and right side of rib cage and under arm pits and center of the chest vertical way down

please let me what kind of condition is this..and any further tests should be done?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get tested for Bone weakness.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have gone through all the details provided by you and the fact that the pain is reduced by Vit D3 supplementation.
Pain in this region is generally , apart from chest infection and cardiac problem , is due to musculo skeletal involvement- either spasm of muscles ,or at bony attachment of muscles .
I would think again in terms of Osteopenia. I suggest you get Bone densitometry Dexa scan, Serum Calcium, S Phosphorus, S Alkaline phosphatase , and Serum Vitamin D3.
I would advice Regular supplementation of Vitamin D .
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why do I keep getting cramps in my rib cage? 15 minutes later
I am slightly getting phelgm which is not thick and i asked the chest doctor if it is infection or any inflammation..he said NO..if at all if u have infection u would get cough..but i dont have cough...mostly i feel like putting my hand in center of the chest..where the bones from left and right join with the center bone...

I will get these tests done and get back to you..
Also if it is something related to bone density why i am only getting this pain in rib and chest..not in hands or legs or any part?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
will wait for results.

Detailed Answer:
Will wait for reports.
Bone densitometry is generally done for 2 sites (L) Hip and Spine. Not specifically for ribs and Sternum.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why do I keep getting cramps in my rib cage? 48 hours later
I have upload the test..please have a look..
Bone density test should be performed for spine or hip or entire body?
I have to get this done as only few diagnostics do here in my place
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal reports

Detailed Answer:

These blood reports are normal. Let us wait for bone density test (dexa hip and spine).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why do I keep getting cramps in my rib cage? 22 hours later

I have uploaded the bone density report
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
BMD is normally

Detailed Answer:
hi Bmd is normal.
I suggest take calcium once daily and vit d3 once in a month.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why do I keep getting cramps in my rib cage? 37 minutes later
can you write the name of the calcium tablet and D3 name please?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see below

Detailed Answer:
To my patients I generally prescribe Tab CCM and Cap Shine D3 60k.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor