Why do I have on-and-off lower back pain on my right side?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: Two weeks ago, I was diagnose with kidney infection. I spent two days in the hospital and was released after treatment. However, the pain returned on the right side of my back after about three days. I did another urine test that was negative for infection of the kidney, However, the pain returned and I'm not know the reason for the pain.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

When you were evaluated originally, did the staff do an x-ray or ultrasound of your kidneys? Because it's possible that there was a stone there or abnormality of the kidney itself that caused the infection in the first place.

I recommend you go into an urgent care clinic or ER to have this reassessed. The ER may be a better choice because they usually have access to a radiology department.

If the place is mostly staffed by physician's assistants and nurse practitioners, request to see a real physician. You have that right. PA and NPs do not have the level of education you need.