Why do I have bloating and stomach pain while standing?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 10 Aug 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have stomach bloating and stomach pain when I stand the pain goes away almost instantly to sit or lie down
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible hiatal hernia

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

This type of difficulties may indicate specific condition called hiatal hernia and this means that stomach is protruding through diaphragm muscle.

It may cause pain when changing position, breathing difficulties, nausea, swallowing difficulties and irritation of stomach. It will also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress and smoking. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food.

Also, certain antacid medications may be required and as last option, it is possible to perform surgical repair of hernia especially if there are progressive respiratory discomfort and dyspepsia. To diagnose it you should do gastroscopy and if this is negative as in your case then you should do contrast X-rays of stomach.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.

Kindly regards.

Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee