question-icon

Why do I have a red rash on the back of my throat and mouth?

Posted on 2 days ago
Question: I have what looks like a red rash on the back of my throat and mouth, been there for 4 days. I have a photo to share if that helps
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Nanjasetty (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Oral mucositis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the history and examined the photo thoroughly. I am of the opinion that, it is oral mucositis. The red bumps seen on the soft palate are the inflamed minor salivary gland.

Do not worry! It appears to be a simple inflammation of the oral mucosa (unless associated with pain), secondary to allergy. Gargle the throat using dilute povidone-iodine mouthwash; this will alleviate the inflammation. Drink frequent sips of warm water. Avoid irritant foods such as hot/cold food & beverages, crisps, coffee and fizzy drinks for a few days till you get better.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Naveen Kumar Nanjasetty

ENT Specialist