Why do I have a gritty feeling, redness and swelling in the eyes despite taking antibiotics?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on 4 days ago in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Good Morning doctor, It has been over one month My sister has have some gritty feeling inside her both eyes, redness of eyes, and swelled lower eyelids, actually I consulted a opthalmologist he preferred some antibiotics moxicillin drops and olpatidine drops etc. she is using these drops for over a month but the symptoms did not subside even it progressed. Doctor said it was a dust allergy conjunctivitis, but she is a house wife not exposed to dust outside. She recently had a typhoid fever and cold 10 days ago. Am sending you few pics of the eye, can u have a look and tell me what was the actual problem. Its so worrying....
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The eye should be examined by an eye specialist for any foreign body or growth.

Detailed Answer:

It can be a growth in conjunctiva sty or foreign body. Get an eye doctor to examine the eye with a complete eye examination. If foreign body detected it should be removed. In case of a sty, it can be epilated, if chalazion it can be incised and contain to be scooped out so that obstruction will be removed. Any secretion will be pass through to be seen. If tear secretion is proper it should be tasted in strip test.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 2 hours later
Thank you so much doctor for your response.

But I already had an eye examintaion done which didn't detect any foreign body or chalazion. the eyes remain wet all the time no evidence of dryness observed.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sty and chalazion have been ruled out no dry eye. Observation may be continued.

Detailed Answer:

It is good that all examination already did chalazion and foreign body not detected wash your eyes with sterile water and clean with the sterile swab. can apply Neosporin ophthalmic ointment at bedtime and apply normal eye drop keep watch on dry eye. It may effect in later period tear secretion to be estimated by strip test. If not chalazion it can be hordeolum and concretion for foreign the test can be repeated so the test is now simplified treatment and soon you will feel better. Some of the medication can be continued.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash, Ophthalmologist