Why do I have a dark patch on my face?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Dark shade on cheeks and started using one cream named ELOCON.
But it starts again after few days if I stop using.
5 days ago in Sun Burn

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for Melasma

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have Melasma which commonly presents as brown patches on face, specially malar prominences and bridge of nose. The cream you have been using is a topical steroid (mometasone furoate) and is not meant for melasma. Moreover it can have side effects like skin thinning, acne, photosensitivity etc.

I suggest you to use a broad spectrum sunscreen(SPF 50+), throughout the day. Reapply the sunscreen every 2-3 hours.
At night you may use a cream with one or more of the ingredients like Kojic acid, Glycolic acid, Hydroquinone, Arbutin, Azaleic acid etc e.g either Radant lite cream or Depiwhite cream or Kojiglo forte cream.
These are prescription medications and treatment of melasma requires follow up visits. Therefore I request you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.