Why do I get headache and earache while doing exercise?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Exercise
Question: When I exercise, specially doing intense squads, I will get a headache and earache. Do I breathe wrong? I am 57 years old and I exercise since over 30 years. I started working out at a pilates studio, before I only did step aerobic.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your ears examined and get an Impedance Audiometry (Tympanometry) done to rule out any ear pressure changes after exercise.

2. Some conditions that may lead to the above symptoms include:
a. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance
b. Cervical Spondylosis
c. Over exertion
d. Benign Intra-cranial Hypertension
e. Migraine or tension headaches
f. Sinusitis

3. Get a Neurologist's opinion and an eye examination done.

4. Improper breathing may be a cause, however, this would have caused problems on earlier occasions as you have been exercising regularly since 30 years.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.