Why do I get dizzy and breathing difficulty when I go from sitting to standing position?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I get dizzy and short of breath when I go from sitting to standing.The condition is getting worse.I recently had a cox maze on my heart ,which was supposed to help w/these symptoms & correct my chronic a-fib that I had for 20 years.I have a regular heart beat now for the last 3 months but still a slow worsening of dizziness & shortness of breath.The hospital did some work on my lungs,checked kidney & liver and all kinds of blood work & X-rays We know the body not circulating blood around getting enough oxygen Any suggestions where we go from here?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to orthostatic intolerance.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a Head Up Tilt test to investigate for this possible disorder.

I would also recommend performing pulmonary function tests (to rule out a lung disorder) and cortisol plasma levels for possible adrenal gland dysfunction.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri