Why do I get cuts on hands after washing dishes?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've started doing the dishes since the past few days to help my wife and mother, and the skin in my fingers and palm are developing small cuts.

I've noticed these cuts during extreme winter also. It's sometimes painful, and I need to know if there's some kind of a cream or lotion I can apply to cure this.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

The most probable cause in your case can be contact dermatitis to dish washing bar.

Try switching the dish washing bar.

Also you can use cutinorm lotion twice daily.It is a good moisturizer and will help a lot.

Also you can use Dermashield cream before doing the wet work.It is a barrier cream and should be applied 10 minutes before the wet work.

Try this and you will see effect in 10-15 days.

If you need any further clarification feel free to ask.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology.