Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

162 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why are my ears so sensitive to loud noise?

Answered by
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1954

Answered : 4258 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I am a 33 year old female
For a few years now I have had left ear pain when I am around loud noises, kind of sound a like 'speaker has blown'. I have lessened my time around noises that I considered loud and it has helped for the most part. I had a head cold for about 3 week last month, off and on it would feel like I had an ear infection. When my cold was about over my ear started to really hurt like I had an infection. I went to a walk in clinic and when she looked in my ear she said that I had scaring on my ear drum like I had tubes when I was child (which I did not have) she told me that my ear drums looked white but since the ear that wasn't bother me looked the same she didn't think it was an infection and everything else appeared normal. she told me to do Flonase twice a day to help. that was a week and a half ago, my cold is a 100% gone but my ear feels like it is full of pressure/full, it isn't a sharp pain. I have a consent feeling of hearing what I can only describe as 'heart beat of a child in womb'
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs a step by step evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Our ears have three parts viz. external, middle and inner. The eardrum marks the separation between the external and middle. The problem could be in the eardrum or in the middle ear. The middle ear cavity is connected to the inner throat. So, problems there could also be contributory. It needs a clinical evaluation and possibly a few tests like audiometry for confirmation. You need to visit an ENT Specialist for the same. Treatment would be supportive and based on the underlying cause.

Let me know if I could help further.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on