Why are Gabapentin and Ropinirole prescribed for restless leg syndrome?
to maximise your relief
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
These two agents are in different family of drugs and work in different ways.
Ropinirole is what is called a dopaminergic agent and gabapentin is an anticonvulsant (anti seizure medication though used in a lot of other conditions).
It is thought that the dopaminergic agents like ropinirole would improve the sensory symptoms associated with restless leg syndrome. Sensory symptoms would be feelings of abnormal sensations such as nerve pain, tingling etc
Gabapentin helps with both sensory and motor (movement) symptoms.
Your doctor may have suggested the combination so that they could work together to help relieve your symptoms.
There are no known interactions between these agents.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diazepam for restless leg syndrome
- Hashimotos restless legs syndrome
- Restless leg syndrome clitoris
- Ropinirole restless leg syndrome
- Valium for restless leg syndrome
- Restless leg syndrome in hypoparathyroidism
- Physiotherapy for restless leg syndrome
- Herpetiformis with restless leg syndrome
- Hyperkalemia restless leg syndrome
- Postpartum restless leg syndrome