Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Why am I unable to bend my knee after a fall?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
I fell down three large steps onto concrete, landing on my right knee and hand. My knee became very bruised. Three weeks later there is still the remains of a bruise and my knee is still quite painful to touch but not too walk on. Bending it is only painful if is touching my trousers or at full bend.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need MRI to look for the internal structures. Detailed Answer: Hello, Remains of bruise is actually remains of bleed in the tissue below skin.Blood products take time to ware off. Now the pain persisting after three weeks worries me.If it had been minor injury limited to just soft tissue then by now your symptoms should have resolved. Pain on bending arises suspicion of ligament injury. Pain on touching of trouser is due to skin bruising. I would recommend a clinical evaluation and MRI of knee in your case. Meanwhile oral pain killers, elevation of limb , ice application and avoiding standing for long can help relieve symptoms. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I unable to bend my knee after a fall? 2 hours later
Forgot to mention slipped a disc in back in September. All of this week I have had pain in the right groin and down my thigh and a crawling feeling in the back of my thigh. Could this be related to my knee or is it more likely that I have just irritated my back?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Both seem different issues. Detailed Answer: Both seem different issues. Only thing is the persistent bruise can be due to painkiller medications you might be taking for back.But it should be cause of worry. I think these both should be considered separate issues. For both you can give try to mild oral painkillers. Hope this answer your questions.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor