Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Why am I suffering with a burning sensation usually after peeing?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I am a man, 39 years old, for the past 2 months I suffer with a burning sensation usually after peeing. Sometimes it burns me while peeing, sometimes just after.
The burning sensation sometimes occurs at the underside of my penis near the top even when I sit (without urinating).

I am married for 4 years and I and my wife did not have any different partners since we met, so it cannot be a Sexual disease.
The last 2 weeks I noticed a sharp pain at the underside of my penis (like a needle pain), I suspect the pain is in my urethra.
Sometimes, this area where I feel the sharp needle pain hurts when I touch it and bothers me when I walk or bend my knees (sometimes not always)
These are the actions I have taken so far:
I visited my family doctor, in the beginning they suspected I suffered from Chlamydia and they prescribed me antibiotics which I took them for a week, no relief!
Then, I went back, because the head of my penis was a bit red, they suspected a yeast infection, I was prescribed some pills which I had to take for 1 week (my wife took them too) and miconazole cream which I used it for 2 weeks.
I do not have this redness anymore, but this did not solve my problem.
Then, I went back and I gave blood and urine, they tested for an urine infection, results came back negative, and the PSA test showed no problem with my prostate.
They gave me a referral letter to go to see an urologist; I did an ultra sound scan of my testicles, an ultra sound scan of my belly and an ultra sound scan of my kidneys.
Finally, they performed a test in the hospital to measure the speed of my pee; it was a bit lower than normal they said.
They were not able to find anything wrong with me and so they closed the case and sent me home.
Since then, I am trying on my own to find things that give me relief, one thing that works is that I boil water and I prepare a Chamomile tea, when is not that hot anymore but still warm, I place my pennis inside the cup with the warm Chamomile for about 10 minutes, then I massage it slowly and then take a warm shower, this gives me relief, I always feel better after that.
I am really tired of this situation and I hope I can get some advice in order to solve my problem.
Is it possible to have a tiny stone stuck inside my urethra that the ultra sound did not show?
Can it be an injury (for 2 months?)
Can it be a dermatological issue, shall I see a dermatologist?
Can you please advise?
Best Regards
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 22 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
To my mind, it can be a tiny stone yes that is blocking the pathway so to speak. Try consuming healthy ammounts of beer (alcoholic or not depending on your preference) & a lot of water 2-3 litres to help 'flush' out any small stone or residual infection. Add on a urinary alkaliniser eg citralka 2-3 times daily. This should provide relief in 3-5 days.
It is also possible one of the urethral glands (that hang along the sides of the penile urethra) have got inflamed & is the source of the problem. Do visit a surgeon in a few days if no respite with general measures & he may be better placed to examine & help you.
An injury? unlikely over a two month period; a small stricture due to past injury, possible.
Most of all ...relax, take a holiday. Perhaps a holiday cum medical check may be the order of the day. We conduct these packages regularly in India & would be happy to put you onto personnel to facilitate that. Stress plays a major role in such situations- once all known & possible tests have been done to rule out an anatomical problem.
Hope this was useful & helps you make an informed desciscion & you are soon on the road to a full recovery ! Cheers & Good luckl!!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Venereologist
XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I suffering with a burning sensation usually after peeing? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr Rodrigues, I will try to get an urinary alkalinizer and drink lots of water for a week. I believe if it was something serious, the ultra sound tests which I did plus the PSA and urinary test would have shown it, right?
Do you really believe that stress might be the cause of my symptoms? Have similar cases been reported? I suffer sometimes, with pressure in the neck, lightheaded feeling, which I believe it comes from anxiety, but burning sensation in the genital area I never experienced before!

Thank you for your feedback, I will contact you again after 1 week time, to let you know how I am doing.

Take Care


Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Most welcome XXXXXXX. Nope am not saying stress 'causes' it but may cause one to talk it up more than usual. Yes, if it was anything serious any ot he tests would have picked it up. Do hope you are fine soon. In the interim it may be better to reach some closure mentally too & close this query & send in your rating ; else it pops up in my inbox as a follow-up query. By all means, do get back later. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Rodrigues
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor