Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Why am I having vertigo when my head is in backward direction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12683 Questions
I have been having severe bouts of vertigo where I have actually fallen down. It usually occurs when I put my head in a backward position. My MD thinks I may have arthritis in my neck that makes the vertebrae impinge on the flow of blood when I put my head back. I have to be very careful and aware of this situation as I can fall easily. The vertigo when I fall is very severe. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Having vertigo on putting the head backwards may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case- 1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves. 2. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease- Can be ruled out on examination by an ENT specialist. 3. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors. 4. Cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck. An mRI scan of the neck will help in diagnosis. 5. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia You need to rule out the above conditions and then get the treatment according to the diagnosis. The treatment of vertigo involves using medications to suppress the impulse generation in the inner ear. Such medicine are Vertin (Betahistine) and Stugeron (Cinnarazine). You can get these prescribed from your physician. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor