Why am I having swollen tonsils without pain?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had swollen tonsils now for 5 months they don't hurt anymore, but they are still big when will they shrink
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

The tonsils enlarge secondary to the inflammation and ongoing infection in the tonsils, throat and sinusitis. If the infection is of acute in onset, there will be transient enlargement of the tonsils and regression following antibiotics. But, if the assault continues for a longer period the tonsils remain permanently swollen.

In your case you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this keeps the mucosa hydrated as well as improves the blood circulation in the throat thus reducing the discomfort and the chances of infection.
2. Avoid chilled food/beverages/coffee/smoking/alcohol if any.
3. Use povidone iodine throat spray 3-4 times a day after food.
4. Suitable antibiotic such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime for 10-12 days.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 minutes later
What are my tonsils being assaulted by?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 40 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The long standing inflammation of the tonsils could be due to recurrent sore throat, mouth breathing, sinusitis, recurrent chronic sinus related problems, smoking, allergy, etc.

Once you get rid of these problems, the size of the tonsils might reduce. Meanwhile, follow as per the instructions mentioned in the previous response.

Revert back to me if at all you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon