Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Why am I having severe pain and swelling on leg?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
HI.. I am 31 yrs old woman and i have severe pain in my leg (maybe calf and the back of left knee)..I feel the pain when I get up from sitting for even 10-15min. Its very severe now and my left leg looks swollen. Today I had pain in my knee and back as well...please advice
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

First of all, you are really overweight. You should reduce your weight.

Now, your knee pain. It can occur from many causes. Most commonly arthritis is the cause. In your case, it may be a cause, as you are overweight. As a woman of this age group you have high chance of developing early arthritic changes.

But, the problem is your description of present symptoms. A calf and knee pain with swelling of leg is indicative of XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. Your age, weight, are all in favour of this condition.

So, right now, you need a thorough clinical examination of that particular area. Presence of swelling if seen should be noted. Temperature, color of the skin, any skin changes should be noted carefully.

After that, if the condition is suspected to be of early XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, immediate color doppler study should be done and prophylactic anticoagulation therapy with low molecular weight heparin should be started.

If clinical examination indicates that the condition may be due to arthritic changes, a X-ray should be considered. In that case, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents like aceclofenac can be taken and you should consult with orthopedic surgeon for further management. You can take a calcium supplement regularly to prevent osteoposrosis.

Lastly, you first consult with your treating doctor or family physician for clinical examination. Do not neglect it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor