Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Why am I having recurring fever? Blood test done. Looking for cure

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
Hello Im 22 female have had a fever off and on sense September 2012 my doctor ordered blood work to see whats wrong my sedimentation rate was 60 and my c reactive was 5.5 and my rdw was 17.7 everything els was normal what could be causing this?
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

ESR and C-reactive are non-specific tests for assessing a focal area of inflammation in the body.

Increased values means a progressive focus of RA, Lupus, arteritis, auto-immune diseases like multiple myeloma or an infection.

Your increase in these tests indicates some increased activity in the inflammatory focus in your body.
RDW high levels can happen due to a liver problem, iron deficiency anaemia. You need a detailed physical examination to detect the cause of these abnormal results.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I having recurring fever? Blood test done. Looking for cure 9 minutes later
Thank you my last question is my doctor has referred me to an infectious disease doctor because she said she does not know what to do from here is this the right doctor to see with these results? or should I be seeing a different kind of doctor
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The findings are consistent with an inflammatory disorder or an infection. It is best to consult an infectious disease specialist and if no infection is detected then co0nsult a rheumatologist to rule out any autoimmune disorder.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor