Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Why am I having pain with most of the lower back movements after a fall?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I slipped and fell on Tuesday morning. I fell on my side but it is my back that hurts. My lower back on both sides. Can walk and sit, but bending, getup from a chair ,turning in bed or most movements involving the lower back muscles give me a lot of pain. Tylenol and heat pads help a bit. I am 80 years old. Do I just wait it out, or see a doctor? I live alone and there is a snowstorm outside.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The fact that your pain is occuring with movements indicates a muscle strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain * Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area * Moist heat application to relax the muscles * Local application of muscle relaxant gel You can continue taking tylenol as needed If your symptoms are not getting better with the above measures, I suggest you to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I having pain with most of the lower back movements after a fall? 1 hour later
How long is it reasonable to expect the condition to last? It is now 5 days with no improvement.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: 10- 15 days to heal. Detailed Answer: Hi, It generally takes 10- 15 days to heal the muscle strain and soft tissue injury.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor