Why am I having pain in knees while sitting or standing?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have noticed recently that when I try to stand up from a squatting position I have severe pain in both of my knees. Sometimes it even hurts going from standing to squatting. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Pain while standing up from squatting or while going to squatting position from standing usually occurs when there is ligament or meniscal damage in the joint.

When one stands from squatting or the reverse the ligaments like Cruciates and the menisci get compressed between the ends of bones in the joint. This results in sharp pain between the bones in the joint when cruciates are damaged or diffuse pain in the joint when both ligaments and menisci are involved.

Since you have history of wear and tear of my meniscus though treated, I consider it to be the cause for the pain you have.

Do consult your Orthopedician for evaluation. He may order a MRI scan which will identify the ligament or menisci damage in detail and help in management.

Hope I answered your query. Please do ask if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad