Why am I having mucus like transparent secretion with stools?

Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: noticed this morning mucus like transparent secretion from anus while passing gas,. The last time it lasted for a week and stopped without any medications (i.e. a couple of months back when it happened for the first time). Fecal matter also covered with the secretion.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nothing needs to be done. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic. Some amount of mucus like transparent secretion with stools is a normal phenomenon, as mucus normally coats our mucous membranes. Hence you should not worry unless it is excessive and seeping out in your clothes, or is mixed with blood or blood stained. Excessive mucus or blood stained mucus can be due to excessive constipation, polyp or growth in rectum or inflammation of colonic and rectal mucosa. Sometimes even infections of intestine can cause excess mucus, in this condition you will need treatment with antibiotics. Excess of sweets, sugars, milk ingestion can also cause it at times. In your case if there is release of mucus along with passage of only gas, you can try some antibiotics acting on gut. Your local physician can prescribe this for you. Hope my suggestions help you. Best wishes, Dr Dinesh Singal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E