Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Why am I having high refractory period after intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 632 Questions
After intercourse, I have a high refractory period. I can get and sustain an erection only after about a day. My understanding is that at my age it should be closer to 15-30 minutes. I have no trouble in getting aroused and erect the first time.
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 9 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

I understand your concern that is common among many youngsters. With regard to refractory period after orgasm, it can range anything from 20 min-2 days at your age. It depends on multiple factors like general health, stress at home & work place, level of stimulation and desire, hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol and other variables. You are a hypertensive as per your history and on antihypertensives.

Hence, I would suggest you not to worry about a refractory period of a day. You can try out adequate foreplay and stimulation exercises along with your partner if you desire a shorter refractory period. You can consider natural aphrodisiacs like walnut, almonds, greens and chocolates too. If you still feel it's a bother and you would prefer treatment for the same, then kindly message back so that I can suggest you accordingly.

Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I having high refractory period after intercourse? 20 minutes later
Thank you doctor. While I am generally satisfied with having sex once a day, there are situations when my quality of life would be improved if my refractory period were shorter. I understand that the hormone prolactin causes refractory period, and this could be shortened by use of some inhibitors like cabergoline. I want to check if I can occasionally use cabergoline. I also want to check if I have high prolactin levels.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up. I agree with you that hormone prolactin hampers sexual satisfaction and orgasm. You can check out your prolactin levels once. However, unless the prolactin is elevated, cabergoline is XXXXXXX to take.

I would rather suggest T.Sildenafil around 3-4 tabs/wk that can be taken around 1 hour before the sexual act to sustain erection. This can be taken after a consultation with your family physician.

Hope you find my suggestions useful for a satisfactory sexual life.

Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why am I having high refractory period after intercourse? 2 days later
Can I just go to a GP to get sildenafil prescribed, or do I need to go to a sexologist? I also have borderline low testosterone (289). I am uploading a full set of health check up test results, along with a prolactin and testosterone results.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
I went through all your reports. Nothing alarming. Testosterone is on the lower normal range. However, you need to remember that it is a fluctuant hormone and is dependent on level of stress, time when blood sample was drawn etc. Sildenafil can be prescribed even by a general practitioner. Just remember the instructions with respect to sildenafil (i.e 1 hour prior to the sexual act). Again wish you a satisfactory sexual life.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Child Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor