Why am I having diarrhea with burning stomach?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi I am a 30 year old female and I have strong burning in my stomach. I have recently had acid reflux often on for a few weeks now off and on. I also have strong GI issues that my doctor is currently testing me for. My question is why my stomach burning for hours and I have stool that is more like yellow water about 5 * at least so far.thank you in advance for your help. I have only had eggs today and my normal bad cramps and diarrhea I had yesterday and throughout the night. This is the first time I've had the yellow watery diarrhea where now there's almost no poop in the bowel movement. What could this be? And what can I take or eat to make this burning pain go away and the bowel movements like this to stop?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
Just from your description of symptoms, it sounds like
you have a couple of issues. You mention about acid reflux.
By itself , it won't cause watery diarrhea. On the other hand
if you are on a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor)nsuch as Esomeprazole,
it can give you diarrhea which is one of the reported side effects.
Actually, any of the PPIs can do this in some.
Having said that, you are thinking about IBS or Crohn's.
If you have a strong family history of Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis,
you need to have tests for that which include blood test and X-ray,
and perhaps endoscopic studies.
IBS symtoms include abdominal pain, bloating,gas and altered
bowel habits, either diarrhea or constipation.
Mostly the diagnosis is made on what is called a Rome-III criteria.
You also have to have blood tests for Celiac Disease which is missed
more often and can be treated easily with a gluten free diet.
Also, Lactose Intolerance which can be diagnosed by a breath test.
Make sure you get a stool test for blood and also for presence of fat
which could indicate malabsorption, if the small bowel is involved.
You say that you have SVT and I am sure they have tested your
thyroid to make sure you don't have over active thyroid.
Hope this gives you a good start, so you can discuss with your
own doctor.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 21 minutes later
Thank you. I am not taking an PPI pills...any idea on what I can take to stop the burning in my stomach? The only thing I took was tums and my atenolol daily med. Any ideas on why my stomach feels this way or way the yellow water diarrhea?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 22 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
You can try Prilosec-OTC or generic Omeprazole 20 mg. tablet
once a day about one hour before your meals. Try it for 4-6 weeks
and see if that controls your symptoms.
Wish you well.