Why am I getting twitching sensation in fingers?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi.

I know there are many bad diseases and reasons why people might have twitches in their fingers. The Internet is all over those. However can you tell me what less concerning reasons there might be why my pinky finger twitches occasionally. It twitches for about 10 seconds at a time and has done so about 5 times in the last 10 days.

I only ask because everywhere on the Internet is so caught up with XXXXXXX J Fox.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 45 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your current symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological disease.

Twitching of little finger could be because of benign fasciculations. This is a harmless condition, and is precipitated by excessive work load and anxiety. It resolves on its own with rest.

Regarding XXXXXXX J Fox, he has Parkinson's disease. You do not have those symptoms (tremors of hands and feet would be constant and not episodic in PD).

So, there is no need to worry at present.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks a lot.

Do you know why this would occur in specific fingers rather be generalized?

I think that is what concerned me the most. Everyone gets the odd twitch in the arm or the calf etc.

My left pinky and my left thumb seem to be the two areas that regularly twitch. Funnily enough my thumb does it at a much smaller amplitude and faster speed, for what that is worth.

It only ever lasts for a few seconds, because if I move it it stops, but it is very disconcerting. I notice when I am at my desk, if I lean on my left forearm with my hand dangling over he edge I can sometimes trigger the twitch or if I purposely wobble the thumb/finger up and down there will be like a rebound twitch up and down a few times until it settles.

I don't know if these nuances add anything.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

As for affecting only specific finger or certain parts of body, it is the nature of benign fasciculations to do that. However, in more serious neurological diseases, the involvement is generalised (such as what happens in Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
Thanks for your helpful feedback.

I just wanted to check a few last things.

Sometimes my little finger feels (its hard to explain) ticklish - I was aware of it. This is when I know it is most vulnerable to twitch.

It also does something my other fingers don't. If I purposely move it up and down fast and then stop, it will twitch (almost like a bounce) back and forth a few times before it stops.

My other fingers (except occasionally the aforementioned thumb) will just stop when I stop purposely moving them up and down.

Does any of that sound strange to you?

I have a neurologist appointment on Wednesday, but I want to get as much stuff out of the way now, so I know what to talk to him about.
Also, I meant to ask...where you saying that the kind of tremor MJF would of had when his first symptom (his little finger) appeared was a tremor that wouldn't stop as apposed to one which would tremor on and off during the day?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for getting back with more details. I appreciate your minute analysis of your symptoms.

However, they are non-specific and do not suggest any serious neurological illness.

I agree with you that in PD, the tremors would be present throughout the day, and would only stop during sleep. However, it may be voluntarily suppressed for a while, only to reappear after some time when distracted or on its own.

I wish you all the best, and would be pleased to answer any more queries.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)